Friday, October 5, 2012

The Grocery store. Tantrums and apples.

Picture this. You walk into a grocery store just minding your own business, maybe your there for one item or maybe your getting you weekly groceries- your standing there and you see a young child screaming or possibly throwing something or maybe just having what you think is a good old fashioned temper tantrum. Did you stop and think maybe this kid has a "disability" instead of just acting like a spoiled brat?!
I can't tell you how many times I have gone shopping with my two kids and Conner has had a meltdown because he wants to eat an apple before paying for it or he heard someone over the intercom that sets him into a fit and I hear comments about me being a young bad mom because my child is acting out. Why must you judge? Instead of asking if i need help or simply shutting your mouth, educate yourself! Sensory processing disorder normally comes with autism and well it adds a not so fun kick to a child with autism. Certain smells can make a child go into a rage so quickly it's like flicking a switch. Conner does not like crowds or basically anything new. Sounds set him off to where he will cover both of his ears and scream to help block out the noise. It really is hard for my non verbal child to communicate which it has gotten to the point that I don't like confrontation any more so I will go shopping at night or with a buddy.
Another question, if you saw a kid in a wheelchair and he or she is speaking in a not so understandable language would you stand there and make a comment to the mom about why she didn't teach her child to speak properly? I think not. Autistic children do not look any different then a non autistic healthy child. I believe that is a big reason of the lack of knowledge.  I've debated on making a shirt for my child to wear that says "just because I have autism doesn't mean you  need to stare". But when it comes down to it- it's not fair to him. I want him to wear a shirt that says " I have autism and I am beating the odds against me".
I hope this is making you think about a time you made a comment or thought something negative in your head about that "brat" child you saw at the store- stop judging. I bet next time you see a child like Conner you might think, that mom goes through a lot and it is not anyone's fault that the poor kid is having a bad day or maybe he really just wants to eat that apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment