Monday, February 18, 2013

All our friends are different.

All our friends are different but we love them all the same. We had the privilege to attend the yo gabba gabba show live this weekend and this was one of the live performance songs I was forced(hahaha) to listen to, but in all honesty it was probably my favorite of the evening! Conner did surprisingly well during the concert with the help of our trusty iPad during intermission- would I attend another concert, sure would! Yes when the show started the confetti popped and instantly as the music started blaring my child's hands went straight over his ears, but by the second song he was jumping and dancing and laughing up a storm but his hands stayed locked into place for almost the first half of the show! Conner blended right in and it was amazing to know that I can do things like this with my child! I would never use the excuse of " because of his autism we cannot...". I strongly believe that if you try to make these kids feel normal they will do it to the best of their ability, yes he is different and has different needs but if you never try, you'll never know if they can. As my husband says, " a little patience can go a long way".

Now we have had an interesting few weeks. So a much bigger issue has come up, I was forced to deal with a man that told me autism was just a fancy term for stupid, and that my child was only this way because I was a liberal who didn't follow his extreme faith. This man touched so many buttons that I vowed to make him known for what he has said. It only takes one person to stand up and show people the facts. If this man doesn't get his facts straight he will continue to spread his views and furthermore pass on the ridiculous views to other people and the misconceptions about children with autism. My child is far from "stupid", he is actually quite intelligent, he just learns things at a different pace. You do not talk wrongly about my child and get away with it. I know it's impossible to change everyone's opinions, but that doesn't mean we cannot try!

I urge people to stand up and help people understand autism. All of these kids are different but we love them all the same <3

Here are some resources. Autismspeaks.org and autism-society.org

No comments:

Post a Comment