Monday, January 21, 2013

Sick in disguise.

Imagine feeling like you have a just a cold and you go to the doctors and it ends up being pneumonia. This happened to our poor Conner a little over a year ago and ever since I take something as simple as a runny nose very seriously.

Due to Conners history he has a very high tolerance to pain, I feel like the combination of his lack of speech and high sensory needs that he doesn't understand if he doesn't feel right simply because he doesn't know what normal is. Now when he got pneumonia he had a simple runny nose for a few days and then he had a fever I couldn't get to go down so we took him to the doctors and wham we got the big news. Now two weeks later he spent all morning crying and grabbing at his throat so I rushed him into urgent care to find out that his pneumonia wasn't cleared up and he also had a double ear infection! This kid is strong. So this past Saturday he didn't sleep well the night before and was crying constantly so we got him into urgent care again to find out that he had sinusitis( basically a sinus infection) and an ear infection! All this and you could barely tell he was sick! Even with no sleep Conner was still bouncing of the walls, running around like "crazy Conner" and enjoying his iPad time.

Point proven that if the boy is sick, you really can't tell.

One thing that I don't like to do is see several different doctors because it is hard to keep explaining conners diagnosis over and over. But surprisingly this doctor was great and also gave some great advice. As I was explaining my child with autism who happens to be non verbal the doctor told me if I ever feel as though he just isn't normal, that I should give him some medicine because clearly he cannot tell me if he has a stomach ache or a headache. Which made a great point, I've had headaches of what feels like my entire life. Now being my child, what if Conner has the same headaches which makes him have these "off" days as I call them.

This doctor definitely made me think and I make my promise to Conner that I will continue to trust my gut and watch out for him until he is able to voice his feelings himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment